Foot odour can be embarrassing, however it is a common problem affecting people of all ages. Foot odour is the result of a mixture of sweat and the bacteria on your skin. Sweat itself is odourless, however when it comes into contact with bacteria, it can produce a foul smell. It is important to try and prevent excessive sweating of the feet, as this can lead to further issues like fungal and bacterial skin infections, warts, and fungal nails.
Foot odour can be prevented with these tips:
- Practice good hygiene: Wash your feet daily and ensure you dry the whole foot, including between the toes, before putting on any socks and shoes.
- Change socks frequently: If you have excessively sweaty feet, carry extra pairs of socks with you and change them frequently.
- Types of socks: Wear moisture-wicking socks, as these are important in keeping moisture away from your feet. It is best to wear socks that have a combination of cotton and synthetic materials.
- Rotate your shoes: Change your shoes daily to give your footwear a chance to air out before you wear them again. Remove your orthotics: Take out your insoles or your orthotics at the end of the day to air them out.
- Air out your feet: Make sure you are not constantly wearing socks and shoes all day. Go barefoot at home to allow your feet to breathe.
- Over the counter remedies: There are over the counter foot powders and sprays that can be used in those with excessively sweaty feet.
If you have any questions or concerns about foot odour, please feel free to contact the clinic at (905) 625-1555 to schedule an appointment with one of our registered chiropodists.